Thursday, September 19

September 19 ~ Hannibal Day 3

The last two days have been very productive.  We have relatives buried in Holy Name Cemetery in Hannibal.  The last time we were here, I found the headstones of two relatives.  I was looking for their headstones in the right places, but alas, no stones.  One more try.  I borrowed a small metal rod and did a little probing and surprise - surprise, the two stones were about 12" under the grass.  The groundskeeper and I worked out a solution and the stones look great now.
Raised to ground level

    
Raised to ground level

Grandfather

Great Grandmother

  We joined the Hannibal cousins at their church's Wednesday night "carry-in" or potluck.  Great food and a good lesson on Acts.

Today Claude, Doug and I made a couple of stops along Mark Twain Lake.   The lake was created after I left Missouri.  The farm I lived on is now part of the lake's wildlife area.  My old home is located on a bluff.  The bottom land where we grew corn is now part of the wildlife reserve.  I spent many days wandering around the area where the river is currently flowing.  My brother Bob and I had many adventures.  I kicked dirt clods, learned to swim in the river and found arrowheads after Dad plowed the field.

Today we went to the Clarence Canon dam     This is the view from the dam.

 The boys at the Viet Nam Memorial for Northeast Missouri near the dam's interpretive center.
Doug, Claude and Bud
This was one of Claude's favorite fishing spots and a great stimulus for his fishing adventures














We finished the evening at Sue and Doug's for dinner with Claude and Mildred.

No comments:

Post a Comment